Pontins Broadreeds, Selsey - A brief history

This camp was built in the grounds of an large thatched house called Broadreeds and was opened in 1934 by Joseph Simmons. It boasted of brick chalets with hot and cold running water, a restaurant, dance hall, tennis courts and accommodation for 350 guests.

It was used at the start of the war to house child evacuees from London. In August 1940 an enemy bomb fell on the camp killing four people. The children were swiftly moved out and the camp was taken over by the army for the remainder of the war.

Broadreeds Holiday Camp, Selsey

It reopened as a holiday camp in June 1946, now run by Norman Simmons, son of Joseph. Soon afterwards the Broadreeds house crashed into the sea due to coastal erosion. In 1958 the site was extended to the north, despite much local opposition. It was purchased by Pontins in 1962. The pool and bar area had a Spanish theme. 

It was a full board site so all meals were included and were taken in the large communal dining room. Rooms were hotel-style, consisting of a bedroom, bathroom, kettle (Teasmade in the early days) and not much else. No TVs were ever installed. In 1972 a week in August cost £21.50 per person which had increased to £93 by 1982.

The camp closed after suffering severe damage in the great storm of October 1987. Within a couple of years most of the buildings had been demolished and the land sat empty until construction began in 1996 on a new housing estate which now occupies the site. Where was it located? Search out Pacific Way and Lifeboat Way in Selsey.

site of pontins broadreeds holiday camp selsey

 

Click here to see our Pontins Broadreeds photos. All available to buy as posters and canvas prints with free delivery anywhere in the world

 

Back to blog

Leave a comment